Triumphs!

I didn’t become a lawyer, as I would have planned. Neither have I bought a helicopter for my parents or a Benz for my brother. I entered a career divergent from my childhood dreams. My dreams may have changed, but my ideals have remained the same. The same as those of children.

Occasionally, I remind myself of those dreams, to refresh myself on personal designs in life. However, in life as it is said, nothing is constant but change. Sometimes, these ideals are lost during the early years of people’s careers. Sadly, principles deteriorate, as men grow older. When people begin to earn and get positions. When the concept of money and recognition comes in, values are distorted to conform to the norms and practicality of life.

For some people, the lawyer ambition will soon be replaced with a variety of goals like buying a new car, owning a flat, being promoted, or obtaining a higher degree. Goals digress to something material. Something we can squeeze out instant satisfaction from. Materials that people think gauge their success in life. Perhaps something to show off to their peers and tell how much they have gone in their careers.

I choose to remain naive and a child at this. I don’t believe that the time I’ll spend racing for money will surmount to the number of people I can help. I don’t believe that recognition will outdo lessons I will learn from others and from life. I don’t want to believe that a career should be spent egocentrically volleying for the highest position and earning the largest possible salary. I refuse to admit that a vain drive of achieving material ambitions would bring me contentment.

There is nothing wrong in seeking ambitions. But, there is no genuine satisfaction that can be attained from material wealth. The craving for it will leave a person more obsessed and yearning. A craving which can never be pacified. A new benz cannot replace the joy you gain from the company of your friends. A fat paycheck cannot compare to a peaceful mind. I believe that friends and family should be in the top of our priorities. I believe that happiness in what we do is significant in our lives. Above all, I believe that lives should be spent fruitfully with God.

I am not being a hypocrite by trying to live with such beliefs. Like all people, I falter too. But I would rather live materially incomplete but content, than be wealthy but selfish. Afterall, I am not the only needy person living in this world.

4 comments:

Radiant_Being said...

I found this on a complete whim - by hitting "Next Blog" on tool bar. I will visit it often as i love your prose. Just thought I would let you know.
Katie
Minneapolis, MN

Anne said...

Hey Katie!

Thanks for taking time to drop by... I'll stalk your blogs too.. :)

Radiant_Being said...

Just curious...how did you get so many followers or 'seekers' on your blog? I am a person who basically writes for my own satisfaction, and without pimping myself out, i was wondering what other options there may be.
thanks - katie

Anne said...

@Katie: To be honest, i really dont know how it all happened.. I just get followers every day or so... :) You got YM or MSN?