Moalboal


It was beautiful. Even here in the dark, nothing can rob it of its beauty. The vastness of the sea together with the thousand eyes of the stars looking down at me here in the paradise of Moalboal, shelters me in the sweet cocoon of its embrace. I walked alone in the sugar sand, disturbing whatever serenity nature had posed on it. I looked down but couldn’t see traces of my footsteps in the sand, there was not enough light.

I stared straight ahead, across the empty sea, distant lights from passing boats pay tribute to its magnificence, but still there was nothing ahead. Whatever light there was in the far regions this immenseness is not enough to cover the darkness. Emptiness is far too much.

I stared at the water and felt the saline taste of the wind against my face. And slowly a single tear fell, joining my solitude. There was the sea, me and my tears. There was you, me and nothing else. I tasted the saltiness of my tear. A single tear which seems to take forever to reach my lips. Minutes, seconds of forever. I looked straight but all I could see is this pool of black.

I got up from my new found haven not bothering to dust off the sand from my shorts. Before I bid goodbye, I looked up at the grand display of the universe above me. Hundreds, thousands of stars, angels, singing their lullaby to me. In spite of the darkness surrounding them, all I see is their light. It isn’t much, but it’s enough. Enough to stop my tears, enough to at least make me smile.

Looking up, I remembered one line we both had trouble forgetting from one of your anime clips you had be borrowed. People are just like stars, they seem to be well clustered together, seem close. But in truth there are actually so many spaces between them, so many things that keeps them apart. That’s why we need to get close to really know. Hmm, well something like that. We both couldn’t get the exact words, but we both liked that line much.

Perhaps we are like the stars.

I smiled at the vastness around me, grateful for its company. I hope that there is more I could do to repay it for its comfort. Thousands, millions, had come and marveled and paid homage to its magic, but only a few, perhaps none, really stayed.

It was just a short chat with nature but enough to put salve to my weary heart. I went back to the cottage and opened a can of Four Seasons. I doubt if anybody noticed my absence. A momentary lapse of memory on their part.

I gave the vastness of the sea and the sky one long look and I gulped the sweetened drink. And again I remembered you. The last time I tasted one was with you. Please give me this one night. Please allow me to share the loneliness of the sea with you. Perhaps it is more than enough to drown both of our sadness. Please be my star for tonight. Perhaps you could shed some light to my vast darkness.

No comments: