the waiting

there in that crowded Church,
you stood in front of me.
you, so magnificent--- so beautiful to behold.
were you real? i must have strayed in a dream.

in that crowded Church,
you were there--- but not with me,
for, somebody else stood beside you.
could she be, the one who makes you smile?

but i saw her left you.
and you were suddenly alone.
you groped but you never did find her.
was it also painful to be left all by yourself?

along with your swift strides away from me,
was my heavy dragging of my numb feet on the cobbled grounds.
you stopped and waited for more,
but tell me, was it also hard to wait in vain?

in that Church, in that crowded Sanctuary,
Someone else stood behind you.
Someone, who could have touched you and held you.
but you never knew.

in that Church, before God,
you could have been truly found---
had you looked back.
if only you looked back.