A Birthday Post!

I was born on a day mapped out to be a free day for the next x number of years due to some people's fight for freedom. I was born on a day destined to be an afterthought if not completely forgotten by people who I think are my friends. I was born on a day made to be subsumed into all the other festivities around it.

Yeah, I celebrated my birthday today and it never fascinated me at all! I got the requisite "happy birthday"s and pleas for "libre" then the day sank back into its regular pace as if nothing had ever happened. I know I sometimes claim to be all of the three omnis, but it doesn’t take special powers or god-like attributes to know that growing a year older is seldom good news. I want to be 20 forever. That being impossible at this point, I want to be 27 forever. It depresses me to think that after 27 comes 28, and after 28, the digits don’t stop rolling.

Maybe people crave for the attention on "days" like this, but I certainly am not one of those people. I really am not one for huge scandalous displays.

Throughout the years, I really tried my best to remember to greet people on their birthday because I knew how bad it felt not to be remembered by anyone, other than a family who decides to spare me some precious time to greet me. In the past few years, I’ve slowly stopped greeting people because apparently, birthdays aren't supposed to be special. They’re evil societal creations engineered to make you think it's your "special" day - all the stories, TV shows, etc... have made it out to be so, but in reality it's just an excuse for people without lunch to leech some food off of you, and it's just an opportunity for everyone around you to make you feel how insignificant you really are to them. duh!

Despite strict instructions to friends never to greet me on my birthday, they did so anyway. You see, I have hard - headed people as friends so I might as well greet myself too - all for the sake of, well, I dont even know. :p

Happy Birthday, Self!


Never mind the abnormal look. Photo taken 2 hours earlier at Dessert Factory. My high school bestfriend, Pipip treated me to dinner. :) Thanks, Pip! Wav yah!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lol, I hate birthdays too!
I do the dutiful thing for others on theirs when I can, but on mine, I turn off my mobile and hide under the blankets!

Anne said...

@Sojourner: hahahaha.. You're back! You've been silent for a time... hehehehe... Yeah, i spent my birthday sleeping.. :)

Anonymous said...

Astonishing style. I would love to write that way.
Tapety na pulpit
Tapety