"an awareness of death encourages us to live life more intensely..."

The title's statement can be sited a few paragraphs till the conclusion of inspiring novel "Veronika Decides to Die"...

It was a blessing this novel fell into my hands with perfect synchronization of my needs. The end of the year (2005) was dawning and I felt awfully homesick (since my family doesnt reside with me. Ive always loved my work and education which I enthusiastically managed my time between. Though I was feeling unfulfilled and terrified of myself for it was unlikely of me to let melancholy dampen my spirit and drive. Just when I was in my lowest of lows, someone gave me this book. It was recommended me way before by another avid reader so I was rather thrilled about it and the introduction got me hooked.

That night I opened the book and it was extremely difficult to separate myself from the pages, I read halfway in a matter of hours. It sparked much coincidence for all I was experiencing at the given time. "imagine a place where people pretend to be crazy in order to do exactly what they want" Paulo Coelho refering to an insane asylum. "why do people hate themselves? Cowardice, eternal fear of being wrong, of not doing what others expected". It all hit home so precisely.

My life as was Veronika's (but not up to that serious of a degree of damage) was becoming routine. I was just accepting the normal disarray of which nature was handing me situations, other than doing something about it. I realized how unhappy i had become and that night brought me to thinking about endless possibilities. With great pondering i knew my goals had changed, the college course as well as field I was working in no longer gave me contentment.

"Everyone dreams but not all are brave enough to realize their dream and to pursue it." Im proud as a young woman in her early 20s i was priveleged enough to work in the field Ive always dreamt of. Though it took a lot of guts I forced to put aside my fear and realize my dream no longer gave me the fulfillment and excitement it once did, so now time to move on.

This novel encouraged me to shatter my fears of acknowledging why I was plummenting to such unhappiness. Fear? The fear of discovering what you pursued and perservered once so passionately about was no longer what you wanted.

Im now just wrapping up my years of imminently prolonged vacation and bidding my farewell to those days of self - indulgence.. In a few months ill be opening another chapter of my life elsewhere. Being in terms with what I really want and pursuing yet another university course that has sparked passion in me - law. Is it just fickle-minded choice? or a long term passion? i dont know. all things change, nothing is permanent. but Im willing to take the risk investing my time and effort.

Its sounds cliche but remains true - cherish the simple things and remain true to yourself, get to know what you want, your lucky if you are pursuing your passion so breathe each perservering perspiration to reach that goal. "its the journey not the destination" i should have done that everyday of my life here. Though you only really fully learn that once a deadline is set. Silly human nature ey? Gotta experience before the lesson is fully weighed into pratice.

No comments: