the hero in me?

When I was young, I wanted to be a lawyer (blame it on the grand dad who exposed me to the career he worshipped). Now that I’m close to being all grown-up (close, huh), I still want to be one, probably to serve my precious country and its precious peole. To give not just my consultation but also my steadfast service pro bono. Back then I thought that I would survive without money so long as I make other people happy. But with the way things are going on right now, I could be so wrong.

I used to be very unmindful of things. I used to watch the Impeachment trial (Erap) from dusk ‘til dawn nonstop but I never really cared much about it. I just enjoyed seeing top notch lawyers defending a stupid ousted president famous for theft. I never really read newspapers except to look at my daily horoscope for daily dose of news has been a vicious cycle. I never really understand corruption. I wasn’t with the people who marched with the deprived workers. I never even joined even one rally that I truly believed in. I was just in for the kinship.

But I pity the masses, the people and every single child that has to be born in this wrecked land. I pity those who abused their power and their freedom. I pity those who don’t know how to enjoy life- the life that the sun showers us every morning; the life that nature boast of; the life that’s in the laughter of every innocent people that you may come across with each day you hurry off to school or work.

And yes, I pity myself- for doubting every drop of hope that is left for Juan de la Cruz; for thinking of migrating to any other country just to kiss my homeland goodbye; for hating the Philippines over and over again.

But I don’t need to be a lawyer to serve my precious country. It’s not about the pro bono service that I so wanted to give the masses. Deeper than that, it’s the selfless love for this land, this land that still can survive with my help and yours.

Election time is fast approaching. We are now observing scoundrels beginning to put off their most modest masks. I hope we see beyond those imaginary heroes, those newly painted overpass or superficial feeding programs that has no basis. Above all, I hope we see who will truly save us, whom we will help and support all the way to realize the land our ancestors hoped for.

Saving the country has never relied on one people alone. It requires the whole population. You’re part of it, right?

No comments: